Monday, June 4, 2007

A healthier outlook on life

For YEARS I have tried to be at a healthy weight. I did Atkins and lost 35 pounds. Included in that diet, I added a lot of physical exercise in to my life. But the problem with Atkins is it was not a way of life for me. I gained back all the weight I had lost and then some. Then I got pregnant and now struggle to even get back to pre-pregnancy weight. I then decided to do Weight Watchers. I found myself still trying to rely on someone else to make the decision for me to be healthy. I ended up feeling like I was paying $10 a week to get weighed by a stranger and sit in a meeting and hear things that I already knew, but was not doing. I always had the attitude of all or nothing. All into it and counted calories, or nothing and ate everything I wanted.

So a few weeks ago Dan and I were discussing our weight and health. I even mentioned the fact that I was considering gastric bypass surgery. It is free for me since I am an active duty spouse. I don't want to do anything drastic like this though until I have tried EVERYTHING! ANd I am far from trying everything. But the fact is that most of my current health issues are caused by my weight. And that is not okay with me.


So, I have decided to try another route. Keeping myself accountable for what I eat and when I exercise. This website will include my meals and work outs. And I am doing it with the help of Women's Health magazine. Today I begin Booty Boot camp. It's a fun name for exercising and eating healthy that comes from Women's Health magazine. I receive it on-line and once in a while buy the magazine off the rack at a grocery store. Dan bought me this particular one a few weeks ago.



This magazine right here has given me a new inspiration to be healthy. That is my goal...to be healthy! Also the current issue of PEOPLE magazine also inspired me. There were 5 different women who have each lost 100 pounds each with zero surgeries. Just plain old fashioned self control and determination! And that is what I am going to do. Starting today people! A few days ago, I grocery shopped and prepared for this. It begins now!


My proud moment of the day is when Dan decided to grab a quick lunch through Taco Bell drive through. I did not order one single thing!!!!!! I am so PROUD of myself!!! I am choosing to be healthier. And it is going to take one single day at a time!

So this page will also include healthy recipes. And I hope that all my friends who are also trying to lose weight will be motivated by this page. Let's work together and become healthy! PLEASE post comments of motivation and inspiration!!! I really need it!

5 comments:

Nancy said...

Way to go Leah! You can do this - we all can do this! Kristin and I are doing WW and have lost 25 pounds between us. We're a third of the way there I figure! We'll check up on you and you can check up on us, too! Love ya!

Tammy and Trevor said...

Leah, I am so proud of your determination and conviction. I know you will be successful in achieving a healthy life style. Trevor and I have been trying to do the same... it isn't easy, but the payoffs are great! I have some great recipes that I will send you so you can try them out and post them on your blog. I will be checking in on your blog daily... best of luck my friend!

karen said...

Yeah Leah!! You are going to do so great. You are so smart to do it the healthy way and not follow a silly fade diet ( I remember Atkins all too well). Realistic life style changes are lasting changes. I AM SO PROUD OF YOU. I will just have to go ahead and follow your lead.

Englishfam said...

You are so awesome Leah! I felt like I was reading my own thoughts reading this post. Thank you for your honesty, we all need to get real with ourselves sometimes! Weight loss really is an ongoing battle. It is hard because you think "when I lose the weight, then I can start to eat whatever I want", which is so false and will lead to gaining it all back! I have just learned that this needs to be forever, not just for a few months. The only way to stay sane for me is to have one day where I can cook a really fattening dinner or go out to eat. It makes you not feel so deprived. I don't know, don't take my advice as fact, but for me I just can't be perfect all the time...nobody can! Good luck on this journey!! You are gonna do great!

HeaddaMarie said...

Leah~ You don't know me but I am friends w/Megan. I think she told you about me. Anyway, I want to say Thank You for having this blog. You are such an inspiration. You make me want to get out there and eat healthier and work my butt off. Whether I actually do or not is another story. I always "try" to but never do. I need to stop trying and just do it!! I know that by eating healthier I will feel so much better, both physically & mentally. I know that I won't have half the issues I have, thyroid problems, depression, low iron, no energy, constantly tire...among others. I want to be healthy for my children...so that I can run and play with them and so that they will learn to eat and be healthy themselves. I'm not brave enough to do a blog like you...but maybe I should...or at least keep some kind of journal that I will look at every day. And having it on the computer ensures that I will. Maybe I will do a blog myself and just not share it quite yet. Anyway, I am just rambling on...again I want to thank you for your inspiration. Good luck!! I know that you will do great! Maybe one day when you move out here I will be able to meet you! Take care!