Saturday, July 26, 2008

A little healthy venting

I just need to vent. I think it cleanses the soul. And I need to do that right now.
(Disclaimer - it's late, I'm tired, still getting over nasty infection in the body, had a rough day with a 2 year old throwing tantrums due to shear exhaustion, and am really missing the deployed hubby.)

It really chaps my hide when people make me feel like I am less of a person because I choose to stay home with my child. Especially when these types of comments to me, come from members of my immediate family, who decided themselves at one point to be a stay at home parent. Why? Why does your full time job and schedule matter more than mine? Why is it wrong for me to make the choice to stay home with my child? It's not wrong. I see it as being a wonderful thing. And I am so grateful that I am in the situation that I am able to do that right now.

The conversation:
Me: Yah, so I am really proud of Ben for trying to go potty on the toilet. These past few days he has been really insistent on wearing big boy underwear and not diapers. Up until today though he didn't want to sit on the toilet. But today he did!
Family Member: "Oh wow, your day consisted of waiting for Ben to take a poo. How exciting. Well, I have to go and write a 15 page essay and read 3 chapters in my book."
Me: No response except talk to you later, but inner voice says, (Ouch that hurt)

It hurts me to the core. The comment made tonight. Potty training.......not rocket science - I understand this. I didn't accomplish a major life time goal by watching my son sit on the toilet. I did not take college courses to do the laundry, cook dinner, read him The Big Red Barn, practice counting to 5 or singing the alphabet, change a diaper, or budget the bills. But I feel that I am making a difference in my sons life. And right now he is my priority. That is my decision. Why do people feel the need to show one up, even when it's your own flesh and blood? Why the competition? It bothers me more than I can say. But, it really helped typing this up.

Good night blog world ~

2 comments:

Siobhán said...

"the most important work you and i will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes." said by harold b. lee, who i think you'll agree has a lot more authority than people who make stupid, pompous comments about the plight of a full-time mother.

for what it's worth, i took a rhetoric course this summer that required more than mere fifteen page papers and i took it for a BREAK from the hard work i do at home. being a mom is tough. it is monotonous and trying and never-ending and it's also breathtakingly awesome. i'm proud of you for making the best choice you could to grow that baby ben into a good man, even if it means your day's highlight relates to the restroom. you're a good mom!

NutMeg said...

One of my all-time favorite quotes ever: "Each small task of every day is a part of the total harmony of the universe." -Sir Theres of Liseux. I'm proud of you and the choices you are making in your life. It's not easy being a stay-at-home mom, especially when your husband is gone for a year! KUDOS TO YOU LEAH!!! :)