Saturday, February 9, 2008

Getting back in to the exercise routine

So yesterday was my first day back to the gym in....... I don't know how long!!!! I love Gold's Gym because Dan and I can work out together, and Ben can have his fun too at the playroom. We went last night and I had a good work out. It's like my body was starving for exercise.

First, Dan and I went to the Cardio cinema. The movie that was playing was Spiderman. The movie is a great distraction. I didn't hardly feel like I was working out. I warmed up on the elliptical for 10 minutes. Then I went over to the bike. Only lasted on that for 2 minutes. And then I went to the treadmill. Only lasted for 10 minutes. Then back to the treadmill for another 5 minutes. I guess it ended up being a circuit training work out. Work out, switch, work out, switch. It is suppossed to help you burn fat quicker. Of course I did not plan this.

Even though my body was starving for exercise, my body was feeling super heavy. It's like my body and spirit were not on the same page. Does that make sense? For many reasons I could have said, I will work out another day. My left foot has been KILLING me. I think I have a bone spur or something? It started a few weeks ago during vacation. I tried to ignore it and then I noticed myself limping. I bought those special gel inserts for my shoes. That didn't help. I might get it checked out soon if it doesn't go away. Anyhoo - the main point is that I could have said oh my foot hurts, I need new work out shoes before working out, or I ate too big of a lunch and I can't workout. Could have said all those reasons.....but I didn't. And for that I was proud of myself. It's about pushing yourself a little more each day in different ways. Today was just about getting back on that exercise horse...even if it was shorter than anticipated.

Well, after the cardio....... Dan and I went to the weight lifting area. I am a "firm"(no pun intended) believer in strength training. I notice a difference especially in my arms, back, and gluteus maximus when I strength train. Today I really wanted to focus on my arms and my back. I have really noticed those two things the most with not working out. I have started to get Oprah arms again. And my hump between my shoulder blades is back. And my posture is just down the tubes right now. Alright now that I have given you WAY too much information about me......

Do any of you have some good exercise moves for arms or back? Or do you have any good advice about how to stay motivated even when you just want to stay home?????

PS My exciting news of the day? I returned from el bano to find Dan talking to a personal trainer. I spoiled his surprise for my V-Day present. He was setting me up with a personal trainer for my Valentine's present!!!!! I had been hinting that I really could use some extra help with techniques and a healthy diet routine. (Heather - I dropped the line that James was so sweet to get you that for Christmas...hint hint hint....so thank you James...)

1 comment:

Miss Megan said...

Momma! I'm sorry that your foot hurts. There is nothing worse than being ready to start fresh with exercise, etc. and then have it put on hold because of body pain. No fun!

Thanks for coming last night. Mike and I went to bed, and said, "That was so fun! We need to do it again." We are definitely there on the 15th. We can't wait! Anytime you need a walking buddy, just call me and we can go to the track. Love ya girl--Meg