Sunday, February 10, 2008

Tips and Tricks to really shed the pounds

So first let me say, I am in no way an expert on weight loss. If I was I would not be overweight.....or maybe it's that I lack self control...who knows? All I know is that in the past when I have really bit down and shed some weight, I was doing mulitple things to help the process. And here is that list just for you!

1. Make sure you immediately eat breakfast when waking up. This gets your metabolism going right away. I always had the tendency to put off eating. That led to famished, starving, and overeating.

2. Try not to obsess about food or constantly think about it. Yes, this can be very hard...especially during the holidays..... and whenever you turn on a television.....and when driving down the street.......you get the point. But the experts say that those who are on the thinner side tend to not see food as an immediate need. (I really need to work on this) Know that you will eat, you are not going to starve. (Yah, I really need to work on this)

3. WATER WATER WATER - You hear the stories of people dying from drinking too much water...this will 99% of the time not happen to you. Experts say that most people are dehydrating themself. I say try and get in atleast 64 oz a day and more if you are working out. I always have a water bottle filled up and within reach. I slowly sip through out the day. You know the rule right? If you feel thirsty then you are most likely already to the point of dehydrating your body.

4. I really limit my fast food. If you are serious about weight loss then Taco Bell or that type of fast food should not be in your weekly menu of food. If you are the type that can just have 1 bean burrito for lunch and be good then kudos to you. I on the other hand choose the soda and burritos with sour cream. So I just know for myself I have to stay away from fast food when being serious about losing weight.

5. Now, how to avoid the fast food.....always have your pantry and fridge filled with food that is good for you AND you will eat. You could have the healthiest food in your kitchen and not eat it once because it tastes gross. Make sure you find what works for you. For me it is fresh fruit, and veggies, quick, frozen and ready to steam veggies, whole wheat bread, brown rice, whole wheat spaghetti, healthiest spaghetti sauce possible, different flavored hummus, granola bars, soups, chili, tuna, canned chicken, frozen chicken, deli meats, peanut butter, fresh lettuce, pre bagged salads, string cheeses........these are some of the foods that are in my kitchen when I am eating healthy. Might sound normal. The key is what is not in my kitchen. No chips, candy, or ice cream. Some people say everything is fine in moderation. For me that is just not the case. If it's there, I will eat it and choose it over the healthier choices. So I just choose to keep it out of sight and out of mind. As the weight is coming off and I am on a good schedule with healthy eating and working out, then I might add in 1 cheat day a week. OR slowly bring in 1 low fat dessert like skinny cow or sugar free treats. Another great choice is the 100 calorie packs. Just eating one bag is my down fall though.....

6. Have a goal in mind of what you want to accomplish. Try not to get overwhlemed if you have a lot of weight to lose. According to the BMI(Body Mass index) chart I need to lose a whopping 70 pounds to be in healthy range. I can not look at the whole number and expect to reach it tomorrow. I really have to think 1-2 pounds of weight loss a week and I will be happy. Or even how I feel makes me happy. If I have more energy and do not feel like just sitting. That is a really big sign for me. It tells me I am eating food that is fueling my body for energy not weighing it down.

7. 3 meals a day, 3 snacks a day - plan it out ahead of time and you gain control of what you will eat and what you will not eat.

8. Exercise - you can not realistically expect to lose weight if you are not getting exercise in your daily routine. Whether it be walking, heavy housecleaning, elliptical, swimming, hiking a hill, or just staying off your couch for multiple hours at a time.......you have to exercise.

Okay enough for now. I just had this on my mind and thought I'd share it.

Bottom line is - I know for me what works and what doesn't. It's not just about one thing, it's combining multiple things and working them into your daily routine. Even though it is multiple things, small changes can make a big difference. For instance - when I take out soda and fast food from my daily schedule, I immediately notice a difference. So just find what works for you and stick to it and you will see those pounds start to shed.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

No comments: